Huge thanks and kudos to who did all the hard work for their hackathon!
CERN Top Tips
#1 推荐一个nba买球网站Keep your passport/ID with you – visitors are now being asked to show this at the entrance every time you leave or exit CERN.
#2 Only enter through Entrance B – Entrance A is cars only and you’ll have a long walk back!
#3推荐一个nba买球网站 If you can, register for internet in advance of arrival – the named contact has to manually approve each request so even a couple of hours notice is good. Here is the
Table of Contents
- Local Information
- Emergency Info
Arriving at CERN
You will need to pick up your security pass from Building 33 (signposted ‘Reception’) before proceeding to check-in at the CERN Hotel in Building 39 or to ideasquare in Building 3179.
If you arrive outside of working hours when Building 33 is shut, you can pick up your pass from B Entrance. From the bus stop, keep walking on the left hand side of the road, enter the car park and continue until you see the security hut (Building 533). From either location it is a 10 min walk to the Hotel or a 5 min walk to ideasquare.
IMPORTANT: Keep your passport/ID with you – it will be checked when you enter and exit the site (including between CERN main site and ideasquare)
推荐一个nba买球网站 of ideasquare, CERN site and walking routes.
From the airport
From Geneva International Airport at Cointrin, you can take:
Free CERN Shuttle Service available on working days from the airport to CERN in front of the departure hall. The trip takes approximately 15 Minutes. The driver will drop you off in front of the reception, building 33 if you are not a holder of CERN badge but continues to the Hotel Reception in Building 39 if you do. Timetables are available here: http://gs-dep.web.cern.ch/en/ShuttleService.
推荐一个nba买球网站Buses are accessed on the check-in level at the airport, if you find yourself in the train station you will need to take the escalators up and find a map of the bus stops. F
Take Bus Y direction “Val Thoiry” and get off at the “CERN” stop. To find Bus Y, from the top of the escalators up from the train station, turn left and walk around to the side of the building and stand on the middle pavement.
Bus 23 (direction “ZIPLO”) or
Bus 28 (direction “Parfumerie”) or
Bus 57 (direction “Gare Zimeysa”).
推荐一个nba买球网站 Get off at “Blandonnet” and catch tram 18 (direction “CERN”) to the final stop “CERN”.
Make sure you take a free public transport ticket推荐一个nba买球网站 “Tout Genève” from the machine that you will find at the exit of the baggage collection hall, next to baggage belts 3 and 5, just before customs control. Make sure you have your boarding pass handy, when you get checked in the bus or tram. Ticket controls are frequent!
Taxi推荐一个nba买球网站 from the airport to CERN takes approximately 15 minutes and costs around 35 CHF.
By train and bus
From the Geneva central station at Cornavin take tram 18 direction “CERN”, which is the final stop at the CERN entrance. Tickets cost around 3.50 CHF (Ticket “Tout Genève” on the ticket machine.). You also can go to the airport station and follow page 6. Info on Public transport in and around Geneva can be found here: www.tpg.ch.
Make sure you have some small changes in CHF or EUR available, as some of ticket machines do neither accept notes nor return money, when you overpay. In some buses such as the Y bus, the ticket machine is inside the bus and not at the stops. If you are going directly to your hotel in France, please make sure to pick your free “3 Zones” ticket from the ticket machine as you are crossing the border between France and Switzerland (cost is around 4.80 CHF). Ticket controls are frequent!
CERN’s address: 385, Route de Meyrin 1217 Meyrin, Switzerland GPS location: Reception: Lat: 46.233058, Long: 6.055692
推荐一个nba买球网站Coming to CERN by car from the Swiss side: Follow “Aeroport”, “Lyon” or “Meyrin”. When in Meyrin head for “St. Genis” (which is just across the border in France). Before you get to St. Genis, CERN is on the left hand side of the “route de Meyrin”, just before the border crossing.
When arriving from the French side, please follow “Gex” or “St. GenisPouilly”. When in St. Genis head for the border. CERN is on your right hand side immediately after the border crossing.
推荐一个nba买球网站Driving in Switzerland: An annual motorway “vignette” (40 CHF), valid for a full calendar year from 1st December of the previous year to the 31st January of the following year, is obligatory for all vehicles, while using Swiss motorways. The vignette can be bought at all customs points, gas stations close to the Swiss border.
推荐一个nba买球网站Switzerland is also very strict on speed limits. Fines are really high and will also be executed for foreigners. More info can be found here: http://www.ch.ch/en/how-behave-road-traffic/. As of 1st of January 2014 you are obliged in Switzerland to drive with headlights on also during daytime (fine is around 40 CHF).
Finding buildings on CERN campus and navigate around on CERN sites, please use: http://maps.cern.ch/mapsearch/
There is also a mobile CERN map application available under: http://gs-dep.web.cern.ch/en/content/gis_mobile
推荐一个nba买球网站A Shuttle service between CERN sites and on CERN campus is available. Timetables and the different circuits can be found here: http://gs-dep.web.cern.ch/en/ShuttleService
Most people are staying at the CERN Hotel – go to Reception in Building 39 () to get your room allocation.
Reception opening hours and contact details:
- Mon-Fri 07:30 am to 01:00 am
- Sat-Sun 09:00 am to 01:00 am
- From Switzerland Tel. 022 767 44 81
- From outside Switzerland Tel. +41 22 767 44 81
- Free wifi throughout the hotel
- Free airport shuttle
- Laundry service
- Borrow a European adapter (guarantee 10 CHF)
- Borrow a hair dryer (guarantee 30 CHF).
推荐一个nba买球网站To get internet access you would need to register your device on the CERN network. Please fill out the network connection request form for a one week temporary visitor connection using the link: http://network.cern.ch/sc/fcgi/sc.fcgi?Action=VisitorRegistration
You need to choose following settings:
responsible person: Francois Grey (GREY FRANCOIS HASIN)
You will need to confirm that you know who Francois is and that he’s expecting you application.
推荐一个nba买球网站Please note that it will take 24 hours after user registration. Hence we recommend that you make an access request prior to your arrival. In case you need help, you can contact the service desk “NETOPS” team under: +41–22–767 4927 or under: email@example.com.
Think about bringing electrical plug adapters/convertors. The standard of electrical plug and outlet at CERN is “Type J” as in Switzerland, which is different than much of the rest of Europe. Supplied electricity is 220V AC, 50Hz.
Useful smartphone apps
Get your smartphone ready for your stay at CERN.
Find below some free smartphone apps that could make your stay easier:
* CERN mobile maps: http://maps.cern.ch/mobile/
* SBB – Swiss train company – timetable and connections: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/e-tickets/mobileticket.html
* TPG – Public Transport Geneva – timetables and connections: http://www.tpg.ch/horaires-temps-reel
* Google translate – in shops, restaurants, public transport: http://www.google.com/mobile/translate/
* Currency converter – CHF in EUR:
* Geneva city guide: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/city-guide-geneva-app.html
* Swiss Events – holiday celebrations, fairs, etc.: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/about-switzerland/appspanoramas/mobile-apps/iphone-apps/swiss-events-iphone-app.html
Out and about: France
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 – 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 – 7 p.m.*
- Monday to Friday: 8.30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Saturdays: 8.30 a.m. – 8 p.m.*
推荐一个nba买球网站Sundays (some): 8.30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (e.g. Carrefour or Intermarché, both in St. Genis – Pouilly).
Weekly farmer’s market in centre of Thoiry: Sundays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Car rental in France is way cheaper, than in Switzerland. You can check below link for a car rental service at the French part of GenevaCointrin airport: http://www.france-car-hire-rental.com/geneva-airport-france-carhire_GVFT01.htm
Official tourism websites
- St. Genis-Pouilly: www.saintgenispouillytourisme.fr
- Pays-de-Gex: http://www.paysdegex-lafaucille.com/
- Monts Jura: http://www.monts-jura.com/en/
- Mont Saleve: http://www.saleveautrement.ch/
- Mont Blanc – Chamonix: http://www.chamonix.com/aiguille-dumidi,80,fr.html
- Also CERN Users office has pulled some information together: http://ph-dep-usersoffice.web.cern.ch/ph-depUsersOffice/RegionalInfoFrance/Welcome.htm
Out and about: Geneva
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 – 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 – 4 p.m.
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
推荐一个nba买球网站All shops are closed on Sundays.
推荐一个nba买球网站You might find some tobacco shops or gas stations open with a food corner or at the Airport and at the Cornavin train station there are small Migros supermarkets, which are open 7 days a week until 9 p.m.
We collected some links for you below on what to do in Geneva推荐一个nba买球网站; maps of the area, restaurant recommendations, leisure activities, etc. There are also some Facebook groups available.
- Official tourism website of Geneva: http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/en/home/
- City maps you can find here: http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/GPM/GPMUKUS.pdf
- Interesting museums and exhibitions: http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/en/seeing-doing/museums/
- Sightseeing and other attractions: http://www.genevetourisme.ch/en/seeing-doing/attractions/
Eating, drinking, nightlife:
- http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/en/eating-drinking/ http://resto-rang.ch/ for an overview about restaurants in and around Geneva with ratings and pictures.
- Here are some recommendations of cinemas, bars and clubs: http://www.geneva.info/entertainment/
- There is also a group of global and local people, called Glocals who organize events in the evenings or during weekends. More information can be found here: http://www.glocals.com/
CERN Users office推荐一个nba买球网站 has put some information together here: http://ph-dep-usersoffice.web.cern.ch/ph-depUsersOffice/GenevaInfo/Welcome.html
推荐一个nba买球网站There is a CERN Twiki page available with general information such as services and shops in and around CERN with their opening hours, etc. http://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/Main/OpeningHours
推荐一个nba买球网站The global expat network in Geneva also provides some useful info: http://geneva.angloinfo.com/
Emergency at CERN: In case of FIRE – ACCIDENT – MEDICAL EMERGENCY or POLLUTION on the CERN site, call the fire brigade on 74444 24h/24 from all CERN phones or from external phone under: +41–22–7674444. The fire brigade is located in bldg. 65, ground floor, on the Meyrin site.
Medical Service at CERN: In case of non-emergency matters, please contact the Medical Service Infirmary on 73802 or +41–22–7673802. The Medical Service Infirmary is located on the Meyrin site in bldg. 57, ground floor and is open from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Outside of these hours, please contact CERN Fire brigade on 74444 or +41–22–7674444.
Doctors in Switzerland and France: In case you need medical treatment during your stay at CERN, you can find a list of doctors in France and Switzerland here: http://ph-dep-usersoffice.web.cern.ch/ph-depUsersOffice/Emergencies.html http://www.doctorswiss.ch/doctors-in-switzerland-geneva–2–50–1–8.html or http://atlassec.web.cern.ch/atlassec/medecins_france.pdf.
Pharmacies:推荐一个nba买球网站 Are available in France and Switzerland, but they are mostly closed after 6 p.m. or on Sundays. There is one pharmacy open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week in the departure hall of the Cointrin Airport in Geneva:
Contact person during event:
Francois Grey and Joona Kurikka (mobile numbers will be distributed to all participants at CERN)
- CERN Main page: www.cern.ch
- CERN’s phone directory: http://phonebook.cern.ch/phonebook/#
- CERN Service desk – Your one-stop access to CERN services: http://cern.service-now.com/service-portal/ +41–22–7677777 or 77777
Emergencies in France (outside CERN):
- European SOS: 112
Emergencies in Switzerland (outside CERN):
- Ambulance: 144
- Fire brigade: 118
- Police: 117